Upgrading the stock internal HDD of your PS4 console is the best thing you can do in terms of improving performance.
You’ll get rid of the slow and outdated hard drive that officially comes with the PS4 and replace it with a faster and more reliable drive that will enhance your gaming experience with your console and take it to the next level.
There are several benefits of upgrading the PS4 stock internal HDD to a new one, and if this new drive is an SSD, you’ll get the best performance booster for your game console.
Choosing the Best Internal HDD Brands For PS4
There are a few things to bear in mind when choosing an internal hard drive for your PS4, which are:
- Compatibility—For that to be achieved, it must have the following specs:
- SATA Interface.
- 2.5-inch form factor.
- 12.5-mm maximum height.
- Capacity ranges from 160-GB to 8-TB.
- Brand—Opt for a reputable HDD brand in order to be confident that you’ve got a good and solid drive. We strongly recommend avoiding unknown brands.
- Capacity—Since you’re looking forward to improving your PS4, it’s recommended that you get a larger drive than the original PS4 hard drive.
- Speed—Most 2.5-inch hard drives come with a speed of 5400RPM. So, don’t go for less than that.
- Warranty—Get a drive that offers at least a 2-year limited warranty, don’t go for less.
Luckily, we have made it easy for you to pick the right hard drive replacement for your PS4 by listing below the best 5 drives for that purpose. They all conform to the standards above and you only to have to choose the one you like instead of wasting your time searching and reading the specs.
This is a great HDD alternative to the PS4 stock internal HDD. It’s the fastest classical drive on the market you can get for your PS4. It spins at 7200RPM and you’ll get a high-speed performance and solid reliability that can serve your console for multiple years.
Backed by an industry-leading 5-year limited warranty, WD Black 2.5-inch Hard Drives combine performance and capacity with the reliability of a brand you can trust.More Details
- Specifically designed for small form factor desktops laptops and Mac computers
- Performance 2 5-inch hard drives available in up to 1TB capacities
- Designed for creative professionals gamers and system builders
- Enhanced-availability (EA) models for applications needing around-the-clock access to lower-transaction environments
One of the many high-performance drives that are extensively used by PS4 gamers worldwide is the Seagate ST1000LM048, as the best HDD alternative to the PS4 stock internal HDD. This specific hard drive is favored by many consumers since it can read and write files at a relatively faster rate.
This drive spins at 5400RPM which makes it slower than WD Black HDD and offers only a 2-year limited warranty.
The good thing about this drive is that, despite its slower speed and shorter warranty period, it offers up to 2-TB storage capacity for PS4.More Details
- The BarraCuda mobile internal hard drive is the go-to upgrade for on-the-go computing by the means of big capacity in a small form factor
- Tackle projects, maneuver applications, and multitask like a pro with a wide range of available capacities
- Features specialized caching technology for optimized data flow and faster loading
- Confidently rely on portable hard drive technology backed by 20 years of innovation
This is the third drive on our list—The WD Blue Mobile hard drive. It’s a great performer and features a solid hard drive replacement for the PS4.
It spins at 5400RPM speed and comes with 2-year limited warranty. Additionally, it offers also up to 2-TB storage capacity.More Details
- Reliable everyday computing
- WD quality and reliability. Compatible – Our latest generation of 7 mm 2.5-inch mobile drives is designed for thin and light mobile applications, and is also compatible with most standard 9.5 mm bays
- WD F.I.T. Lab certified to work with a wide range of high-performance PC configurations
The Toshiba L200 Laptop Internal Hard Drive is designed for everyday laptop users and gamers. It’s a great solution for boosting the storage capacity of your laptop computer or game console with up to 2-TB.
The L200 comes with features – such as low power profile, cache technology, and shock and vibration protection – that deliver the performance and reliability to enhance your mobile computing and console gaming experience. It’s all backed by over 45 years of storage expertise and the exceptional quality of Toshiba, the name you can trust.
- Designed for laptop PC and gaming systems
- Low power profile helps optimize device’s battery life
- Built in shock sensors and ramp loading technology
- Advanced Format technology helps deliver drive efficiency and reliability
- Toshiba cache technology for improved real time performance