Looking to upgrade your aging PS4 or PS4 Pro and make it way too faster? You can do only so much without a fabrication plant or a tech-savvy witch doctor at your service. In most cases, your options are limited to two:
- wipe the machine clean and reinstall the PS4 system software and your games and apps; or
- install a new hard drive or, most recommended, a solid-state drive (SSD).
Many PS4 and PS4 Pro users may be surprised to find that option No. 2, using an SSD, is the single most effective update they can perform to an older PS4 console. (Even better, combine that with option No. 1.) An SSD upgrade is dramatic because your PS4 relies on a platter-mechanism hard drive.
An SSD can make an older PS4 and PS4 Pro feel snappy and fresh across the board. If you’re using a platter drive since you bought your console, replacing it with almost any recent vintage SSD should show a clear benefit when you’re booting up, launching apps, opening large files, loading game levels, and performing any other tasks.
Why Do You Need an SSD for Your PS4?
Choosing The Best Internal SSD For PS4 and PS4 Pro
When you want to get an SSD for your PS4 or PS4 Pro, you must make sure that it meets the following compatibility specifications:
- SATA Interface.
- Storage capacity ranges from 160-GB to 8-TB.
- Height is between 9.5-mm to 12.5-mm.
Once you find the right SSD that meets these specs, you must look into brand and price.
You have to be aware that any SATA III SSD from a reputable brand will maximize the performance of your PS4 and PS4 Pro, regardless of the speed difference between each brand. That’s because PS4 or PS4 Pro hardware can’t fully benefit from the high-performance level an SSD offers, therefore the improvement will be limited, and almost any SSD can achieve the maximum performance level of PS4.
The same is said in the case of the PS4 Pro, although the PS4 Pro will gain more benefits from an SSD replacement compared to the base PS4.
For that reason, the first and most crucial factor you must consider when choosing between good SSD brands for your PS4 is PRICE.
Here, in our list, the top priority is PRICE. We have picked the cheapest, high-quality SSD brands for your PS4 and PS4 Pro that will perfectly do the job the way you want.
This is the cheapest high-performance SSD on our list. For the 1-TB model, you pay less than $65. That is a big deal in fact, and you can opt for 2-TB to double the capacity of your console for a good price.More Details
- Boot up faster. Load files quicker. Improve overall system responsiveness
- Improves battery life because it’s 45x more energy efficient than a typical hard drive
- Micron 3D NAND – advancing the world’s memory and storage technology for 40 years
- Crucial 3-year limited warranty
300% faster than a typical hard drive
This Crucial drive gives you super-fast read and write speeds (560MB/s and 510MB/s, respectively) that will maximize the speed of your PS4 without breaking the bank backed with a 5-year limited warranty.More Details
- Sequential reads/writes up to 560/510 MB/s and random reads/writes up to 95K/90K on all file types
- Accelerated by Micron 3D NAND technology
- Integrated Power Loss Immunity preserves all your saved work if the power unexpectedly gets cut
- Crucial 5-year limited warranty
This Western Digital drive is a good choice if you want an SSD for your PS4 at a great price but would rather stick with a more well-known brand. You will have a lot of space to store things, read and write speeds of 560MB/s and 530MB/s, and a five-year warranty from the manufacturer.More Details
- An industry-leading 1.75M hours mean time to failure (MTTF) and up to 600 terabytes written (TBW) for enhanced reliability.
- WD F.I.T. Lab certification for compatibility with a wide range of computers.
- An active power draw up to 25% lower than previous generations of WD Blue SSD.
- Crucial 5-year limited warranty
Although Samsung, a solid-state storage rock star, hasn’t been releasing new solid-state drives (SSD) at the same rate as it once did, its follow-up to the well-liked SSD 860 QVO is a brilliant return to form.
If you’re looking for one of the best 2.5-inch SATA SSDs in terms of value and performance for the money, search no further than Samsung’s SSD 870 QVO, a stellar followup to its first QLC-based outing.More Details
- GO BIG, DO MORE: The 870 QVO is Samsung’s latest 2nd generation QLC SSD with up to 8TB of storage capacity. Compatible with SATA 3 Gbps & 1.5 Gbps interfaces
- ENHANCED IN EVERY WAY: With an expanded SATA interface limit of 560/530 MB/s sequential speeds, the 870 QVO improves random access speed and sustained performance
- BOOST CAPACITY: The 870 QVO is available in 1, 2, 4 and 8TB
- RELIABLE AND SUSTAINABLE: The capacity of the 8TB 870 QVO increases reliability up to 2,880 TBW using a refined ECC algorithm for stable performance
- UPGRADE WITH EASE: Upgrading to 870 QVO is now easier than ever for anyone with a desktop PC or laptop that supports a standard 2.5 inch SATA form factor
- SAMSUNG MAGICIAN SOFTWARE: Manage your drive and enhance its performance with tools that keep up with the latest updates and monitor the drive’s health and status
- FLASH MEMORY BRAND: All firmware and components, including Samsung’s world renowned DRAM and NAND, are produced in house, allowing end to end integration for quality you can trust
- Voltage: 5V ± 5% Allowable voltage
This is a great SSD from Samsung that performs very well in the PS4 platform and it’s one of the best choices of PS4 power users. It’s slightly more expensive than the previous recommendations, and it comes with a 5-year limited warranty.More Details
- THE SDD ALL-STAR: The latest 870 EVO has indisputable performance, reliability and compatibility built upon Samsung’s pioneering technology
- EXCELLENCE IN PERFORMANCE: Enjoy professional level SSD performance which maximizes the SATA interface limit to 560/530 MB/s sequential speeds, accelerates write speeds and maintains long term high performance with a larger variable buffer
- INDUSTRY-DEFINING RELIABILITY: From everyday computing to 8K video processing, you can multi-task efficiently with up to 600 TBW, low lag with the 6th generation VNAND, and powerful MKX controller
- MORE COMPATIBLE THAN EVER: 870 EVO has been compatibility tested for major host systems and applications, including chipsets, motherboards, NAS, and video recording device